About

Church History

oldchurchIn the year 1791 a group of seven women went all the way from East Greenwich to Charlestown, Rhode Island, to hear a man by the name of Jessie Lee preach the gospel at Governor Stanton’s Inn. When they returned to their homes, they decided to hold meetings of the Methodist Society and often gathered in the Court House in the center of town. By the end of the year the group had grown to over a hundred people.

In 1833 land was purchased by Lydia Greene and the present church was built. The parsonage was built in back of the church and remained there until the 1940’s when a house on Spring Street was purchased. The present parsonage on LeBaron Drive was purchased in the 1960’s. Dr. Wilber Fisk, the first president of Wesleyan University, was the first minister to preach in the new church.

The General Assembly of Rhode Island met in Newport and also at the Court House in East Greenwich . The State Constitution was to be signed at the Court House but there was neither heat nor enough room for the large gathering and so it was decided to meet at the Methodist Church. It was there that the Constitution of Rhode Island was signed.

Directions

We are located at 1558 South County Trail in East Greenwich, about 1/2 mile south of the intersection with Division Street (Dave’s Supermarket Plaza).

From Route 95 North or South:
Take Exit 8A from Route 95 North, or Exit 8 from Route 95 South, Quaker Lane, Route 2.  Bear right off the exit onto Route 2 south.
The church is on the left, about 1 mile.

From Route 4 going North:
Take Exit 8B onto Division Street. At the third traffic light, turn left onto Route 2. The church is on the left, about 1/2 mile.

Office Address and Hours

United Methodist Church in East Greenwich 
1558 South County Trail
East Greenwich, RI 02818

Office Phone: 401-884-4221
E-mail: info@egumc.org

Office Hours

September through June – 9:00 am to 3:00 pm

July and August – 9:00 am to noon

Barbara M. Tufts Cooperative Preschool

Barbara M. Tufts Cooperative Preschool is an ecumenical venture of the East Greenwich faith communities. It was established to provide a developmentally appropriate nursery school experience with openness to the uniqueness of all children, without regard to gender, family origins, economic situations or religious affiliation. The East Greenwich United Methodist Church provides the space for the school at no cost, so that the Cooperative can offer a sliding fee scale and no child is ever denied access for financial reasons.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION